Thursday, May 29, 2025

My Desk Transformation Story

My dream workstation transformation in 12 years,
starting from a shoe-box "table".
 
I rented an empty room,
no fans, no table, no bed.
Empty.
 
I bought essential stuff from the nearest mall,
carried back with both hands and feet.
Setting up my mattress on the floor,
and formal shoe shoe-box as my table,
very simple with little luggage,
feels like camping in a room.
 
Moving into a smaller room next room, after the guy return to hometown.
Inherited the stuff that's left behind owned by the guy.
I save another RM100 per month for the rental and more for a free double-decker bed.
 
Gradually,
I work hard,
earn and save by eating biscuits dipped with Milo for breakfast.
By collecting 8 Jacob biscuit tins and stack up into "biscuit tin-pillar",
while scraping a "3-leg" coffee table for its plank, 
my shoe-box table transforms into "tin-pillar" desk.
 
Some time later,
I brought back 2 study desks recovered from the dumpsite during a walk.
The conditions were a little worn but free.
Carried back with both hands and feet.
(R.I.P in pieces to the 2 study desks for being with me many years until recent year.)
 
Only between 2021 and present time,
with allowance given every month, 
2-times salary adjustment each year for 4 years 
and receiving bonus each year, 
My savings finally grew stable.
 
Knowing money is a hard earn process,
I'm starting to love myself by investing myself a little more 
to make one of my dreams come true,
through the Youtubers' influence of gaming station makeover 
and my brotherly colleagues fond of gaming.
 
First, 
I upgraded to a mid-end gaming laptop 
replacing [ Scholar ], my 1st laptop's name. 
Currently [ Hectar ] with GTX 1080 ti 
better graphic card and better cooling system
and still up and running well, (but not enough for Ray Tracing in gaming )
though it's RTX 50 series for many game lovers today.
 
[Scholar] has very bad overheat issue when running game or old version Adobe, 
and met with auto-restart due to overheat
because most of its body are 85% made of aluminum.
Most of all, I can't use Adobe Suite as older laptops didn't met the spec requirement.  

Moving on,
I slowly surveying the net and chose my gadgets carefully,
In 12 years, I have changed mouse generations 3 times, headset 4 times, mousepad 3 times 
recently pick up a decent external keyboard & mouse and a 27"inch gaming monitor on sale,
adding monitor rack for laptop, 
a storage desk rack for my tiny collection of Arknights merchandise, artbook and manga.
 
Finally found a decent monitor mount LED light bar. 
That make up a 85% completion, Result : A- Satisfied, Though still have room for more but can be wait, feeling fulfilled of the long-term waiting dream. What's next in my list is me to keep.

No comments: