Deep down, I always wanted help, how to live my life meaningfully towards my goals. The biggest problem was, I don't know how and where to start.
I came across a bookstore near I stay a few times but always walk out empty-handed. I was afraid that I might spent my money again on books that once bought never touch.
I rarely bought self-improvement books in my life except masterpiece art & reference books.
I stumbled upon a book, a 120 pages [ Mini Habits ] by Stephen Guise costed RM49.90. A thin, ideal book for beginner reader such as myself. It's not a bad start. It's not my regular leisure to sip in a cafe, because I always thought cafes are only a place for coffee lovers.
I sat down on a fancy dark blue wool-cushion chair with a cup of Iced Green Tea Latte and the first page. Page by page, I highlighted the key points and wrote my thoughts with a red pen. One of the most important key points is, never depend on motivation and start build willpower.
Days past, I have been applying mini goals as my daily routine such as 10x pushup, Read 2 pages book, and continuing Inktober, slowly I added in learning new Kanji and resume online course set for 15 mins, draw using graphic tablet.
While the world are still working, I'm trying not to fall behind from the rest, because working competition are getting fiercer by each time a new tech launches to the world. ChapGPT, AI Generate, are the New features added into many softwares these days. Well of course, not free. Canvas has becoming a useful tool for non-designers as well as Adobe constantly adding new features to make work much easier version.
Day 11
Head down reading the pages, but mind is elsewhere.
Day 12-13
From the book, relying on feelings and motivation doesn't work in the long-run goals as mentioned. Therefore, I quit believing motivation is everything and get set, go.
I was actually 5 days delayed on Inktober. I tried my very best to come out 2-3 drafts from a keyword theme if possible. Sometimes, I based on picture reference, I found my imagination and decided this or that to be my start version. Sometimes it failed, and I had to re-think of another idea, erase the canvas and re-sketch again.
Mystically, I feel more focused while working on my habits outside of my room. Sometimes I did my stuff at McDonald after lunch/dinner. The outside stimulation actually helps me do my work in a more productivity way with faster progress, even better than staying long hours in office.
I never knew some cafe actually serve nice tea too. Spending about 2 hours or more to read, write and sketch in those places, I feel the vibe of focus boost. Of course, a cup of drink is 12 days worth amount of sachets drink you can buy at supermarkets and homemade yourself, taste different vice, but cost-saving. 😕
Day 17-18
Wednesday evening. I dressed like I was about heading to war, crossing the traffic light and I'm here in a small cafe station just 3 mins walk. Ordered the usual tea, took a seat for a warm up image-reference surf before I lift the pencil. It's a lot more impossible to possible draft from a blank sketch book while in comfort zone.. I did it. Just one problem... took me whole hour to draft just one.. not fast enough.. but I managed to make some progress. I have been planning my idea visual of character design from writing it a backstory, referring images to finally draft one out. Based on the online course teaching, I need to make a few more drafts of the same character with same traits but different appearance.
Thursday afternoon. I start with the usual mini habits of 10x pushup + other random exercise movement while gaming Arknights. Second, I go with Inktober. Limiting only phone device on. Once done, I sketch and read for 15 mins or more each.
Slowly, I keep up the pace to complete the daily mini habits and adding more in my Daily To Do List.
Day 35
My Inktober is 1 week behind complete schedule, I still got 3 more ink drawings to finish the 2023's challenge. After that I will turn my focus on digital drawings.


No comments:
Post a Comment